Learning Through Play Preschool Philosophy
At Burlingame Preschool, we believe in a play-based curriculum and for good reason. Much research on children's learning and development documents the benefits of play for children's intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and language development. Our students develop through their experiences with art, song, movement, games, stories, yoga, poems, sign language, outdoor activity, and guided discussion.
- Children at play are actively involved in creating themes, exploring and establishing relationships, solving problems and developing shared understanding.
- Children engage in "parallel play" — near each other but with each child engrossed in his own activity.
- As children get older, they play cooperatively, organizing roles and scenarios for group play.
- When kids play with each other, they learn to see other children's points of view and begin to understand customs and rules in their own culture and to appreciate those of others.
- They learn to use language in new ways to describe their play and interact with others.
- They develop early math and science skills, while improving on their imagination and creativity.
- And in play, children develop their muscles and coordination.
A Cooperative Community
At Burlingame Preschool, we believe that it truly takes a village to raise a child. Burlingame Preschool is entirely run by parents of current students. Each family plays an important role at the school, which is part of the cooperative effort that keeps the school running and the costs low.
3's and 4's Responsibilities
- Assigned Parent Help days in the classroom throughout the year
- A position on a committee or the preschool's Board
- Attendance at parent meetings
- Cleaning and classroom set-up 2-3 times per year
- Work Parties to clean the school and maintain our outdoor areas
- Participation in school fundraisers
- Assigned Parent Help days in the classroom throughout the year.
- Attendance at 2 Parent Meetings
- Participation in auction school fundraiser
Eco-Healthy Certified Preschool
Certification is awarded by the Oregon Environmental Council. This certification ensures that our preschool setting is as environmentally healthy as possible. By following the Eco-Healthy guidelines, our preschool is reducing our children's exposure to toxins and other environmental health hazards.